Understanding Gum Graft: Your Key to a Healthier Smile in Florida
Surgery can be a scary thing. However, surgery becomes less threatening when you understand what is happening and why. At Village Periodontics, we believe in providing not just treatments, but a comprehensive understanding of the procedures we offer. Let’s delve into the realm of periodontal care and shed light on a vital procedure – osseous surgery.
Understanding Osseous Surgery: The low-down on bone-centric surgical procedures
Osseous surgery, also known as flap surgery, is a specialized and meticulous periodontal procedure aimed at addressing advanced stages of gum disease, particularly periodontitis. This surgical intervention becomes necessary when deep pockets form between the gums and teeth due to the progression of the disease. The surgery involves the careful lifting of the gum tissue to access the roots of the teeth and the underlying bone. Once exposed, the roots are thoroughly cleaned to remove accumulated bacteria, tartar, and diseased tissue. Additionally, the procedure includes reshaping the bone to eliminate irregularities caused by periodontal damage. By reducing pocket depths and restoring the integrity of the supporting bone, osseous surgery aims to halt the progression of gum disease, prevent further damage, and ultimately preserve the natural dentition. This comprehensive approach is pivotal in maintaining oral health, preventing tooth loss, and promoting an environment conducive to the long-term well-being of the patient’s oral structures.
Why People Need Osseous Surgery
- Advanced Gum Disease: Osseous surgery is often recommended for individuals with advanced periodontal disease where deep pockets have formed between the gums and teeth. These pockets harbor bacteria that, if left untreated, can lead to further damage to the bone supporting the teeth.
- Bone Reshaping: The procedure addresses bone deformities caused by periodontal disease. By removing irregularities in the bone, osseous surgery promotes a healthier bone structure and facilitates proper tooth support.
- Preventing Tooth Loss: Osseous surgery is a proactive measure to prevent tooth loss. By addressing the underlying issues contributing to gum disease, it aims to preserve the natural dentition and maintain the integrity of the oral structure.
The Osseous Surgery Process: What to Expect
- Comprehensive Examination: Before recommending osseous surgery, our periodontists conduct a thorough examination, which may include X-rays and probing of the gum pockets to assess the extent of periodontal damage.
- Local Anesthesia: To ensure your comfort during the procedure, local anesthesia is administered to numb the treatment area.
- Lifting the Gum Tissue: Our skilled periodontists carefully lift the gum tissue to access the roots of the teeth and underlying bone.
- Cleaning and Reshaping: The roots are meticulously cleaned, and irregularities in the bone are reshaped to promote a healthier oral environment.
- Suturing: After the procedure is complete, the gum tissue is sutured back into place. Proper aftercare instructions are provided to ensure optimal healing.
Trust Our Florida Periodontists for Your Gum Graft
If you’re experiencing symptoms of advanced gum disease or have been advised to consider osseous surgery, take the proactive step towards periodontal wellness. Request an appointment to begin your healthy teeth adventure! Let our team guide you through the process of osseous surgery and help you achieve a healthier, happier smile. Need more info? Contact us and we will be happy to help. Your journey to optimal periodontal health begins here at Village Periodontics – where expertise meets personalized care.